November 5, 2013

diy agate coasters

Ok, so after seeing the jonathan adler gold-plated coasters, it was clear what my newest project was. Below you'll find the photos of the coasters I started with, and the after product.
So, since adler's coasters were hundreds of dollars, and I wasn't really in the mood to shell it out for things you put your mugs on, I shopped around online to check out other options. I decided on these great looking ones from target, they came in pink or blue. I chose pink, and at $15, they were quite a steal for a set of four. From Michael's Arts and Crafts store, I got a gold-leafing kit for about $10. The project totaled under $30 after tax. Perfect solution.

Here's how I did it:
1.)  I peeled off the tacky-looking plastic legs on the coasters (optional)
2.) Coat the edges of the coasters with the adhesive from the leafing kit
3.) Let them sit for 5 min. after applying adhesive, to enable the glue to get sticky
                - You can indicate when the adhesive is ready when the color changes from a milky-white to                    clear
4.) press on the gold leaf papers onto the edge of the coasters and peel off the excess paper.
5.) Let the leafed coasters sit for an additional 5 min before painting on the sealer on the edges.
6.) Let the sealer dry for, you guessed it, 5 min, and they're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I always respond as soon as I read it, and always appreciate polite and honest comments! xoxo Riley